basic life insurance
life insurance plan info
The Basic Life Insurance Plan provides a lump-sum benefit equal to two times your annualized regular pay if you die for any reason while you’re covered under the plan.
- Currently, this coverage is provided at no additional cost to eligible employees.
- You do not need to enroll for coverage; it is automatically provided once you become eligible to participate.
- This benefit is for employees only; you cannot cover dependents.
- Assigning Coverage. You can make a gift of your life insurance coverage to one or more people — or to an organization, such as a bank or law firm, that serves as a trustee. If you’re considering assigning your coverage, you should be aware of the personal, legal and tax implications. Review all the rules outlined the Plan’s summary plan description and consult with your attorney. Contact the HR Service Center if you need to assign coverage.
- Accelerated Benefit Option. You can request an accelerated payment of Plan benefits if you’re terminally ill and meet other eligibility requirements to receive an accelerated benefit. Review the Plan’s summary plan description or contact the Plan’s insurer for more information.
- Funeral Discount and Planning Services. Funeral discount and planning services are included with your Basic Life Insurance coverage at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
- Grief Counseling services are included with your Basic Life Insurance coverage at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
The plan's summary plan description and other key plan documents are included below, later on this page.
Funeral discount and planning services are included with your coverage at no additional cost to you.
Grief counseling services are automatically included with your Basic Life Insurance coverage at no additional cost to you.
accelerated benefit option
You can request an accelerated payment of benefits if you’re terminally ill and meet other eligibility requirements. Review the plan’s summary plan description or contact the insurer for more information.
The summary plan descriptions (SPD) provides specific details about your benefits, such as eligibility, covered services and participation rules. If there recent updates to the SPD since the last publication date, look for the summary of material modification (SMM) included in the very front of the book.
The documents listed below are called a summary of material modification (SMM). An SMM explains recent updates to your plan that are not yet captured or updated in your summary plan description (SPD) since the last publication date. Be sure to review the SMM for an understanding of important plan updates. If you have questions regarding a plan not listed or referenced on this website, contact the HR Service Center.
- New address for benefits correspondence (June 1, 2020)
- Grief Counseling Service (January 1, 2019)
- Funeral Planning Service (January 1, 2018)
Review the Certificate of Insurance to understand what is covered under the plan.
basic life insurance plan
- Plan Type Life Insurance
- Eligibility U.S. Payroll Employees
- Enrollment If eligible, automatically covered
- Claims Administrator/Insurer MetLife
- Plan Number 525
- Phone For eligibility and to verify coverage amount, call the HR Service Center (Choose Manage Benefits, then Health, Disability, Life, Accident Insurance option)
- Phone To report a death, call the HR Service Center
- Phone To talk to MetLife directly, 1-800-638-6420
- Website Verify eligibility and coverage amount on BenefitConnect
- Beneficiary Designations Get started here
- Claim Form Contact MetLife
This web page provides only certain highlights about changes of benefit provisions. It is not intended to be a complete explanation. If there are any discrepancies between this communication and the legal plan documents, the legal plan documents will prevail to the extent permitted by law. Oral statements about plan benefits are not binding on Chevron or the applicable plan. There are no vested rights with respect to Chevron health care plans or any company contributions towards the cost of such health care plans. Rather, Chevron Corporation reserves all rights, for any reason and at any time, to amend, change or terminate these plans or to change or eliminate the company contribution toward the cost of such plans. Such amendments, changes, terminations or eliminations may be applicable without regard to whether someone previously terminated employment with Chevron or previously was subject to a grandfathering provision. Some benefit plans and policies described in this document may be subject to collective bargaining and, therefore, may not apply to union-represented employees.
Here's where to get phone numbers and websites for all your benefits.
Looking for employment verification?