Lafayette has more than 125,000 residents.
GOM's West Facility is housed at the 5750 Johnston Street building; while training is housed at the Employee Resource Training Center (ERTC) building (200 Galbert Road also in Lafayette). Approximately 250 employees report to the Johnston Street building daily. The Johnston Street building is an older-style building with a large open parking lot. Most employees work in individual offices. Break rooms and vending machines are available; however, the facility does not have an employee cafeteria that serves hot meals.
There are numerous volunteer and community events offered by the Johnston Street building. Most of these events focus on meeting the needs of the Acadiana community.
The majority of Johnston Street employees work a 9/80 work schedule with alternating Fridays off; however, individual schedules are determined by specific department needs.
Business casual clothing is generally worn.
With homes or apartments, employees can bring their own furniture or rent partially or fully furnished apartments. Normally, rental agreements are six-, nine- or 12-month contracts. Some apartments may do month-to-month leases for a premium. The first month's rent and a security deposit are due upfront.
- Power: All homes and apartments have electricity installed. Residents request that power be turned on through the local provider. A deposit may be required for new customers. Electrical outlets are 110 volts with 220 volts for dryers and washing machines.
- Telephone: All homes and apartments are equipped for phone service. Multiple phone lines (for example, phone lines for fax machines or teenage children) can also be installed. Cell phone service is also available. Residents sign up for service through the phone company and are billed on a monthly basis.
- Gas: Lafayette gas can be turned on by the local provider and may require a deposit for new customers. Some homes with acreage and on the outskirts of town may have propane tanks on the property. Propane tanks are filled at the resident's expense, as needed. Residents should check with their landlord or realtor to find out what services are required for their home.
- Water: All water flowing to homes and apartments has been filtered through city water systems. Water is safe for drinking, cooking, bathing and washing clothes. A water deposit may be required for new customers.
- Internet: In general, homes have Internet service capabilities. To reduce costs, most people bundle Internet, phone and cable services through one service provider. Some apartment complexes provide free wireless Internet to their residences. Some coffee shops often provide a free wireless connection for their customers.
Lafayette area has quality nearby medical facilities and hospitals in case you or your family is injured or does not feel well. Check with your insurance provider about what type of coverage you have.
Hospitals with Emergency room services. (Primary care along with specialist providers can also be seen)
- Lafayette General Medical Center
- University Medical Center
- Women's and Children's Hospital
- Heart Hospital of Lafayette
- * Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center (Does not have an emergency room)
Other providers available check with your insurance provider.
Most household-help providers come on a daily or scheduled basis and rarely live in the home.
ATMs are plentiful throughout the region but fees depend on the policies of the employee's financial institution. Account holders can normally obtain cash, with no service fees, directly from the bank by using their debit card at a local grocery store when purchasing items or other approved ATMs.
Popular banking choices for employees include Chase Bank, Capital One, Home Bank, the Chevron Federal Credit Union and the Chevron Employees Federal Credit Union.
The Johnston Street building does not provide medical services.
The Mall of Acadiana is located across from the Chevron office on Johnston Street.
Major department stores include: Dillards, JCPenney, Macy's and Sears with retailers such as Gap, Talbots, Banana Republic and Forever 21.
Some nearby shopping/stores for:
- Arts/Crafts: Michaels, Hobby Lobby
- Discount Department stores: TJ Maxx, Stein Mart, Kohl's
- Electronics: Best Buy, Radio Shack
- General Retailer: WalMart, Sam's Club, Target
- Furniture: Bed Bath & Beyond, Home furniture, Rooms to Go, Conn's
- Home Improvement: Lowes, Home Depot
- Pet Supplies: Pet Smart
The closest Outlet mall is the Tanger outlet center located in Gonzales, LA which is 77 miles away.
recreational and entertainment
Although the Lafayette area is known for its Cajun/Creole cooking, there are a variety of dining options from seafood to ethnic cuisines. For recommendations please visit Urban Spoon, Yelp or seek recommendations from others. Most major fast food places are near the office. Some examples are Subway, McDonalds and Chick fil a. A few popular restaurants near the Lafayette office are:
- American: Zea's , Copelands, Bonefish Grill, Village Cafe, Pete's
- Cajun: Jolie's Bistro, Prejean's, Cafe Vermilionville
- Greek: Athena
- Italian: Olive Garden, iMonelli, Romacelli
- Mexican: La Hacienda, Coyote Blues, La Pagua
- Seafood: Charley G's
- Thai: Bangkok, Mae Sone Noodle House
- Japanese/Sushi: Shinto, Tsubaki Hibachi, Samurai, Fuji, Shangri La
- Chinese: Magic Wok, China One
- Pizza: Dean-O's , La Pizzeria, Pizza Hut
Red Lerille's Health & Raquet Club
City Club at River Ranch