As of 2012, the population of Beijing was more than 20 million. The city is the nation's political, cultural and educational center.
The official language in China is Mandarin. The currency is Renminbi.
The Chevron Upstream office, with around 90 employees, occupies one floor of the China World Tower. The office has an open cube environment as well as offices. Work stations are outfitted with stand and sit options.
The Chevron floor also contains meeting rooms and coffee areas with refrigerators and microwave ovens. The Chevron mail center is located at the reception area.
The Chevron Beijing office has a nurse onsite.
Most expatriates with school-age children live in villas in Shunyi, which is close to the airport and a 50-minute drive to the city during peak hours. The two largest international schools are in Shunyi, where housing is located in secure gated villa communities with club houses that include gyms, swimming pools and tennis courts. Supermarkets, cafes, restaurants and Starbucks are a short walk or drive from most expat houses. Most Beijing landlords allow pets but there is a rule that dogs over 35 cm in height must live outside the downtown area. Most Beijing expats with large pets opt to live in Shunyi.
Expatriates who want an easy commute to work usually live downtown. Most Chevron expatriates live in the serviced apartments in the areas of China World, Sanlitun and Chaoyang Park. Expatriates with young children who choose to live in the city will find kindergartens within a short walk of most expatriate apartment towers.
Not all the villas or apartments are fully furnished. The expats can either request the landlord to furnish the house or bring their own furniture.
- Beijing Riviera is a popular well-managed expatriate villa community in Shunyi. Beijing Riviera has a wide range of family friendly facilities. For older children, it is only a 15-minute bike ride on the quiet backroad to Western Academy of Beijing (WAB).
- Grand Hills is located on Jingshun Lu, close to the Western Academy of Beijing (WAB). The landscaping at Grand Hills includes sloping hills built around a man-made lake. Homes at Grand Hills have high ceilings and relatively large gardens by Beijing standards. Each house has a basement. House interiors vary in style.
- Yosemite is a very popular expatriate villa community located right next to the International School Beijing (ISB) and also the British School. There is a wide range of home styles in this community, with modern club and recreational facilities.
There are several apartment complexes near the Chevron office in the Central Business District and nearby.
- Kerry Center is across the street from Chevron in a complex that includes offices, residences, hotels, restaurants and shops.
- Lanson Place Central Park and Central Park are located within a block or two of the Chevron offices.
- Embassy House is located a few kilometres away.
Most complexes offer spacious apartments in two-, three- and four- bedroom configurations as well as penthouses. Staff housekeepers clean these apartments once or twice a week.
Vista Clinic is a Chevron contracted clinic which provides an on-site nurse in the Chevron office. The Vista Clinic is conveniently located a few blocks from the Chevron office.
Because air pollution is significant in Beijing, especially in winter, expatriate families are provided air-filters.
The salaries of the household staff are discretionary and dependent on a variety of circumstances including the duties assigned, the size of the family, if help is full time or part time.
All utilities are provided in the serviced apartments available to expatriates on temporary assignments.
Electrical outlets are 220V and use three-round pin plugs.
Chevron expatriates in Beijing typically send their children to one of the many international schools. The two most popular schools, among Chevron expatriates are the International School of Beijing (ISB) and Western Academy of Beijing (WAB). There is also a British School available. The schools often have waiting lists so it is important to look into schooling right away if you are assigned to Beijing.
- International School of Beijing (ISB) is an independent, coeducational college-preparatory day school offering an international curriculum to expatriate students living in Beijing.
- Western Academy of Beijing (WAB) is accredited by the IB, the Council of International Schools (CIS), the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and China's accrediting body, the National Center for Curriculum and Textbook Development (NCCT).
- The British School of Beijing accommodates the children of expatriate families with two campuses in Beijing – one in the downtown area and the other in the family friendly suburbs of Shunyi. The British School is accredited by ISI, the UK's independent schools inspectorate.
The major grocery stores include Jenny Lou’s, Carrefour, Walmart and similar stores. Most major supermarkets carry all household items including home furnishings.
There are also street markets in Beijing, selling vegetables, fruits and sundry items. The most popular street market is Xinyuanli Market, where many expats enjoy shopping.
recreational and entertainment
Here's where to get phone numbers and websites for all your benefits.
Looking for employment verification?