Employees who prefer a smaller community with excellent public schools choose to live in Covington or nearby Mandeville, Abita Springs or Madisonville. Other employees, who prefer the vast amenities offered by the city, choose to live on the South Shore, in the greater New Orleans metropolitan area and do a reverse commute on a 24-mile causeway bridge that connects the North and South shores. Chevron also subsidizes large shuttle vans for South Shore employees who wish to participate in vanpools.
The building is serviced by a covered parking garage (roof uncovered) with various options for overflow parking. In addition to handicapped and guest spaces, Northpark offers preferred parking to carpoolers, vanpoolers and drivers of Low Emission Vehicles (LEV) that meet a green score of 40 or higher.
Additionally, Northpark includes plenty of bright light, collaborative spaces, touchdown rooms for privacy as well as technology enabled conference rooms. The majority of Northpark employees work a 9/80 work schedule with alternating Fridays off; however, individual schedules are determined by specific department needs.
The majority of homes offer a private backyard and garage or carport.
Condominiums and town homes, which cater to single employees or those not requiring much space, are also available.
Rent prices depend on the location and amenities; however, nicer apartments tend to charge a premium on the North Shore. Recently, several luxury style apartments have opened to meet the growing demand of mobile professionals.
With homes or apartments, employees can bring their own furniture or rent partially or fully furnished apartments. Normally, rental agreements are six, nine or 12 month contracts. Some apartments may do month-to-month leases for a premium. The first month's rent and a security deposit are due upfront.
- Power: All homes and apartments have electricity installed. Residents request that power be turned on through Cleco, the local provider. As of 2010, Cleco requires a $150 deposit for all new customers and bill monthly. Electrical outlets are 110 volts with 220 volts for dryers and washing machines.
- Telephone: All homes and apartments are equipped for phone service. Multiple phone lines (for example, phone lines for fax machines or teenage children) can also be installed. Cell phone service is also available. Residents sign up for service through the phone company and are billed on a monthly basis.
- Gas: In St. Tammany Parish, gas is provided by Atmos. Some homes with acreage and on the outskirts of town may have propane tanks on the property. Propane tanks are filled at the resident's expense, as needed.
Residents should check with their landlord or realtor to find out what services are required for their home.
- Water: All water flowing to homes and apartments has been filtered through city water systems. Water is safe for drinking, cooking, bathing and washing clothes. H20 is the local water provider and charges a $75 deposit as of 2010 for all new accounts.
- Internet: In general, homes have Internet service capabilities. To reduce costs, most people bundle Internet, phone and cable TV services through one service provider. Some apartment complexes provide free wireless Internet to their residents. Coffee shops often provide a free wireless connection for their customers. Local libraries have computers with Internet access for public use.
The Greater New Orleans metropolitan area offers an improving public school system (including some sought-after charter schools) as well as a wide variety of private schools. For more information, visit the Orleans Parish School Board website. Incoming expatriates may also want to gather information on Archdiocese of New Orleans Catholic School and New Orleans Independent School Association of the Southwest.
There are quality medical facilities and hospitals close to the Covington office.
Hospitals with emergency room services:
St. Tammany Parish Hospital
Lakeview Regional Medical Center
Health Care Center (Primary care providers and specialists):
Other providers available check with your insurance provider.
It is very important to interview and check references. The phone book, Internet, neighbors and other employees are good references for these services.
The Chevron Federal Credit Union along with the CUSA Federal Credit Union is located in the main lobby of the Covington office with on-site ATMs. If you are looking to open up a local banking account, some popular institutions with branches nearby are: Chevron Federal Credit Union, CUSA Federal Credit Union, Chase, Capital One and Whitney.
22444 Highway 435
Abita Springs, LA 70420-9998 70420
1775 North Columbia Street
Covington, LA 70433-9998
100 Covington Street
Madisonville, LA 70447-9998
1 Saint Ann Drive
Mandeville, LA 70471-9998
To purchase groceries (produce, bakery, meat, food) nearby options from the area include:
- Acquistapace's Covington Supermarket
- Rouses Supermarkets
- Fresh Market
- Walmart Mini Mart
In Mandeville, the Premier Center in Mandeville is an outdoor shopping area with retail stores such as Aeropostale, American Eagle, Banana Republic, The Gap, Old Navy, Stein Mart, T.J. Maxx and Rack Room Shoes
Furniture stores include: Rooms to Go, Furniture mart, Ashley's and American Factory Direct and will deliver for a small fee.
Home improvement stores include Lowes and Home Depot.
For an indoor shopping mall is located at North Shore Square Mall in Slidell (25 minutes from Covington) or at Lakeside Shopping Center in Metairie (35 minutes from Covington) which includes a Macy's.
The closest outlet mall is Premium Outlets located in Gulfport, Mississippi (1 hour from Covington).
Listen to a few minutes of a conversation between expats about living in Covington (intranet access).
- Length: 13:45 minutes
Most employees who work in the Covington office either drive to work or carpool with other employees. With Covington being a smaller town, traffic is low compared to major metropolitan areas. Most commutes take between 5 and 15 minutes for Covington and Mandeville residents.
Commuting from New Orleans can take approximately 45 to 60 minutes to the Covington office. This time estimate includes a 20 minute stretch on the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway Bridge.
Transportation service to the Covington office, such as taxicabs, is available for a fee.
recreational and entertainment
- New Orleans Pelicans - Professional Basketball Team
- New Orleans Saints - World-Champion Football Team
- New Orleans Zephyrs - Triple-A Minor League Baseball Team
Playmaker Indoor Sports
The Tammany Trace
Some popular bars/grills around town to enjoy include:
- Abita Brewery Tour
- Buffalo Wild Wings
- Columbia Street Tap Room
- Barley Oak
- Wine Loft
The Covington/Mandeville area has a variety of dining from seafood to ethnic cuisines such as Thai cuisines to choose from. For recommendations please visit Yelp or seek recommendations from colleagues.
Most major fast food chains are located near the Covington office, such as Chick-fil-A, McDonalds, Subway, etc. A few popular restaurants near the Covington office include:
- Annadele's Plantation
- Zea Rotisserie & Grill
- Zoe's Bakery
- Northshore Empress
- Albasha Greek Restaurant
- Olive Garden
- Macaroni Grill
- Mellow Mushroom
- Acme Oyster House
- Don's Seafood Hut
- Thai Spice
The Covington office offers gym membership for low cost but if you would like to join a health club with additional amenities such as. spa, pool, tennis courts, etc., at membership cost the following are some options:
Forty-five Minutes from Covington
- New Orleans - French Quarter, casino, Cajun culture
One Hour from Covington
- Baton Rouge - Capital of Louisiana, home of Louisiana State University campus
- Gulfport, Mississippi - Outlet mal
Three Hours from Covington
- Gulf Shores, Alabama - beaches, shopping, restaurants
- Pensacola Beach, Florida - beaches, shopping, restaurants
Four Hours from Covington
- Destin, Florida - beaches, shopping, restaurants
Listen to a few minutes of a cultural orientation for an expatriate assignment in the United States (intranet access).
- Length: 6:20 minutes
Here's where to get phone numbers and websites for all your benefits.
Looking for employment verification?