The cities of San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles are located near the central coast of California.
- San Luis Obispo is in San Luis Obispo County, California, where the broad Salinas Valley meets the California coastal ranges, and has a population of about 45,000 (as of 2008). There is much to see and do in and around San Luis Obispo, including visiting the Big Sur coastline and Hearst Castle.
- Paso Robles is nestled in the coastal mountain range of central California and has a population of about 30,000 people (as of 2009). It is located close to mountains, beaches and deserts and is home to a popular wine-growing area. Chevron’s San Ardo Oil Field is just five miles south of town. Most of Paso Robles’ economy is based on agriculture and oil field services.
The San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) are about three hours away by car.
Employees can bring their own furniture or rent partially or fully furnished homes or apartments.
Rental agreements for homes and apartments are normally on a two- to three-year lease basis. The first month’s rent and a security deposit is due prior to moving in.
Rental agreements for apartments are normally on a two- to three-year basis. The first month’s rent and a security deposit are due upfront. The price is dependent on the location and amenities.
- Power: All homes and apartments have electricity installed. Residents request that power be turned on with the local provider. Services are billed monthly. Electrical outlets are 110 volts with 220 volts for dryers and washing machines.
- Telephone: All homes and apartments are equipped for phone service. Multiple phone lines (for example, phone lines for fax machines or teenage children) can also be installed. Cell phone service is also available. Residents sign up for service through the phone company and are billed on a monthly basis.
- Gas: In most areas, one company provides gas and electric service. In certain areas of town, electricity and gas services are provided by separate companies. Some homes with acreage and on the outskirts of town may have propane tanks on the property. Propane tanks are filled at the resident’s expense, as needed. Residents should check with their landlord or realtor to find out what services are required for their home.
- Water: All water flowing to homes and apartments is filtered through city water systems. Water is safe for drinking, cooking, bathing, and washing clothes.
- Internet: In general, homes have Internet service capabilities. To reduce costs, most people bundle Internet, phone, and cable services through one service provider. Some apartment complexes provide free wireless Internet to their residents. Coffee shops often provide a free wireless connection for their customers. Local libraries have computers with Internet access for public use.
California coastal cities offer a number of schools to their residents. There are 18 schools in San Luis Obispo and 13 schools in Paso Robles.
More information about San Luis Obispo public schools is available on the San Luis Obispo County Office of Education website.
Private school information for San Luis Obispo is available on the Private School Review website.
More information about Paso Robles public schools is available on the Paso Robles Public Schools website.
Private school information is available on the City of Paso Robles website.
- Elementary school
– San Luis Obispo (8)
– Paso Robles (6)
- Junior high school
– San Luis Obispo (1)
– Paso Robles (2)
- High school
– San Luis Obispo (7)
– Paso Robles (4)
– San Luis Obispo (1 junior college, 1 university)
– Paso Robles (1 junior college)
The school systems in and around San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles offer education for students with special needs.
High-end stores, such as Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale’s can be found in the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas.
More choices are available in the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas. Check with retailers for delivery costs.
- JCPenney and Sears are department stores that sell men’s, women’s and children’s clothing, jewelry, cosmetics, electronics and household goods.
- Ross and Kohl’s carry men’s, women’s and children’s clothing, shoes, and home goods.
- Walmart is a discount store that sells clothing, household items and groceries. It also has a garden center, pharmacy, Tire & Lube Express, optical center, one-hour photo processing lab, portrait studio, and bank branch.
- PETCO offers pet supplies and services, such as grooming and dog training.
Nurses are available for consultations via the phone, and emergency rooms are open 24 hours a day. Medical facilities offer prescription filling, laboratory, X-ray and ultrasound services.
Expatriate health insurance also covers certain mental health and substance abuse treatments for employees and their covered family members. Confidential counseling with certified psychologists and counselors is available through Employee Assistance and WorkLife Services. This can be helpful for families trying to adjust to a new country and culture.
Dentists, including orthodontists and pediatric dentists, are located throughout the area. Dental services are covered under the expatriate health insurance plans.
It is very important to interview and check references. The phone book, neighbors and other employees are good references for these services.
Transportation services, including taxicabs, buses and area transits, are available for a fee.
recreation and entertainment
San Luis Obispo is home to a university, so there are many sporting events and theater options.
Paso Robles is home to the famous “Mid-State Fair.” Every summer, this county fair features favorite artists, bull riding and car racing events.
California’s colorful Spanish heritage lives on in San Luis Obispo County. Two missions are located within the county: Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, the fifth in a chain of Franciscan stations, and Mission San Miguel Archangel, the 16th mission. Across from the mission is the Rios Caledonia Adobe Museum, a century-old inn and stage stop along the Mission Trail.
Hearst Castle is a mansion and national historic landmark. It was designed by architect Julia Morgan for William Randolph Hearst — a newspaper magnate. In 1957, the Hearst Corporation donated the property to the state of California. Since that time it has been maintained as a state historic park where the estate and its considerable collection of art and antiques are open for public tours.
San Luis Obispo County Parks offer hiking, camping, fishing, golf and other recreation.
California Polytechnic State University and Questa College both offer a variety of entertainment and events from their music, drama and athletic departments, including operas, plays and sporting events.
Nightclubs are in abundance, including DJs, live bands, bars, wine bars, dancing and karaoke.
Art galleries are also a big attraction. There are nearly 50 different galleries that feature both local and well-known artists. Galleries show literary, visual and performing arts. Photographs, oil-based paintings and sculptures are available in the heart of downtown.
A wide variety of fast-food chains and sit-down restaurants are available. Popular restaurant chains include:
However, the coast prides itself in offering family-owned specialty restaurants. There are also a number of ethnic restaurants around town that serve Mediterranean, Brazilian, Portuguese, Italian and Indian cuisine. There is also an organic market and bistro.
All San Joaquin Valley Chevron locations offer a subsidized onsite massage therapy. Appointments are available for up to 30 minutes and can be made directly from your company computer.