The majority of expatriates live on the SAC camp in Mina Saud which is about 100 km (approximately 60 miles) from downtown Kuwait. The houses, most of which are beachfront, are situated on a point of land which extends into the Gulf.
There are 70 older villas, which are predominately three bedrooms, two and a half baths and 50 new villas. The new villas have four bedrooms and five bathrooms. The camp offers an additional 10 single-bedroom homes for single employees, located in the central part of the camp. There are guest rooms located near the Administration building. New arrivals are housed in one of the above type homes.
The accommodation type and location where expatriates will be housed is based on availability, with final determinations are made by the Management Housing Committee. Some families may be placed in temporary housing until a villa becomes available.
Basic furniture and large appliances are provided. Expatriates are welcome to bring furniture items as long as they stay within their shipment requirements. Power is reliable, but there are occasional surges and power interruptions. The campus villas are wired for 220 volt for the three-prong, UK-type plugs.
In addition to the residential area, the camp includes the SAC administrative office and workshops, an oil storage facility and the infrastructure to pump oil for offshore loading, two beaches, recreational facilities, a clinic and a small grocery store. The camp population is multinational.
There are many English-speaking schools in Kuwait. SAC expatriate families currently use approved schools that the company will pay for. Transportation is provided for camp residents to both day and after school activities. The school year runs from September to June.
Below is the contact information and links to the websites for approved schools.
- The American School of Kuwait (ASK) Website: www.ask.edu.kw
- American United School of Kuwait Website: www.aus.edu.kw
- TES – The English School of Kuwait Website: www.tes.edu.kw
- Clinic: The Saudi Arabian Chevron Clinic, located outside the camp gate, is a fully staffed medical clinic with an ambulance. In addition to general practitioner doctors, the clinic currently has on staff two dentists, a pediatrician, lab doctor, X-ray, pharmacy and a female gynecologist. The clinic is open during the day on weekdays with an emergency clinic open 24 hours, seven days a week.
- Hospitals: There are many hospitals in Kuwait City for more care than the SAC Clinic can provide. Kuwait has both government and private hospitals. Government hospitals have emergency/casualty care departments whereas private ones generally do not.
- Emergencies: Medical evacuations by plane to the closest appropriate location are arranged for serious medical emergencies. SAC Medical Services will work with Human Resources and ISOS to ensure that employees and families get appropriate medical care in case of emergency.
recreation and entertainment
Various types of entertainment are available in the city, including:
- Kuwait Towers
- Souq Mubarakiya
- Sporting activities, including bowling, ice skating, skateboarding, paintball, and more
- Green Island
- Camel racing
- Movie theaters
- Museums such as Tareq Rajab, Kuwait National Museum, Al-Hashemi Marine Museum, the Scientific Center, the Classic Car Museum, and the Grand Mosque
- Boat charters
For more information about local information check out this article on volunteer opportunities in Kuwait.
Here's where to get phone numbers and websites for all your benefits.
Looking for employment verification?