had a life event change?
If you need to change your benefits due to a life event, you have 31 days to make certain changes to your benefits.
update your benefits within 31 days
If you get married, have a baby, move or experience some other qualifying life event, you have 31 days to make changes to your benefits. If you miss this important deadline, you'll have to wait until the next open enrollment period in the fall to change your benefits, unless you have a second qualifying event that allows changes. (Remember benefit elections made during open enrollment won’t take effect until January 1 of the next year.) Even if you don't plan to make changes to your benefits, it's still important to report the event just to make sure records have been appropriately updated.
Chevron is moving to a new benefits administration platform for the HR Service Center. Transition to the new benefits administration platform will take place over several months, starting in October 2018 with health and life insurance benefits and ending with pension benefits sometime later in 2019. During the transition, there is a temporary process for accessing your personal benefits information and making certain health and welfare benefit enrollments, changes or updates. If you need to make a change to your benefits during the transition, you will typically be required to make changes to your 2018 coverage, first. You will then need to take an additional step to ensure those elections are carried over in the new system for 2019.
- Go to the current Benefits Connection website and Report the Life Event.
- Alternatively, you can call the HR Service Center at 1-888-825-5247 to report the life event. Be sure to choose the option on the phone tree for 2018 benefits.
- You must call the HR Service Center at 1-888-825-5247 to make updates to your 2019 health and/or welfare coverage; online elections are not available. Be sure to choose the option on the phone tree for 2019 benefits.
- If you are adding an eligible dependent to your 2019 health coverage, you will be required to follow the dependent verification process. Learn more about the dependent verification process here. In addition, when you call the HR Service Center to make elections, they will advise you of the next steps to verify your dependent’s eligibility for coverage.
have a new dependent?
Remember that new dependents are not automatically covered under your medical and dental coverage, even if you're paying for family coverage (You + Child(ren) or You + Family). You have to report the event to Chevron and then enroll your new dependent. Do not contact your health plan directly; we'll do that when you report the event. The deadline is the same — you have 31 days from the date of the event to act. If you're not sure your dependent is eligible for coverage under a certain plan, review the plan’s summary plan description. (Just choose a plan from the list of benefits to read the eligibility rules for that plan.)
don’t forget to update your beneficiaries
Naming one or more beneficiaries ensures your assets will go to whomever you choose when you die. You may already have beneficiaries on file, but it’s a good idea to review your beneficiary designations once a year and whenever you experience a qualifying life event.
more examples of life events
In addition to birth and marriage, there are other qualifying life events that allow you to make a change to some of your benefits. Every plan's summary plan description has a list of life events and the kinds of benefit changes each event allows. Example qualifying life events include:
- Getting divorced.
- Beginning or ending a domestic partnership.
- Fostering or adoption.
- Losing or gaining coverage due to a spouse's job change.
- Going on a leave of absence or a part-time schedule.
- Moving to a location where your current health plan is not available.
report an event
When you report an event, your updated information will automatically be sent to Chevron payroll and the appropriate Chevron benefit plan administrators. There are two ways to report a life event: