Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), which is about two hours away, is the nearest international airport. If you do not wish to leave your personal car there while away, there is a bus service that travels from Bakersfield to LAX.
Employees reporting to these fields have an average commute time of 15 to 45 minutes, depending on where they live. Most TTA employees live near Bakersfield or Taft. Employees commuting from Bakersfield have access to a vanpool.
Commuting to KR from Bakersfield takes about 15 to 30 minutes.
Employees based in Coalinga or San Ardo will live in towns closer to their reporting locations. Many employees take advantage of the vanpool to Lost Hills.
The Lost Hills location amenities include a gym, mail services, and a cafeteria.
The rent price is dependent on the location and amenities.
With homes or apartments, employees can bring their own furniture or rent partially or fully furnished apartments. Rental agreements are normally on a one – two year lease basis. The first month’s rent and a security deposit are due upfront.
- Power: All homes and apartments have electricity installed. Residents request that power be turned on with the local provider. Services are billed monthly.
Electrical outlets are 110 volts with 220 volts for dryers and washing machines.
- Telephone: All homes and apartments are equipped for phone service. Multiple phone lines (for example, phone lines for fax machines or teenage children) can also be installed. Cell phone service is also available. Residents sign up for service through the phone company and are billed on a monthly basis.
- Gas: In most areas, one company provides gas and electric service. In certain areas of town, electricity and gas services are provided by separate companies. Some homes with acreage and on the outskirts of town may have propane tanks on the property. Propane tanks are filled at the resident’s expense, as needed. Residents should check with their landlord or realtor to find out what services are required for their home.
- Water: All water flowing to homes and apartments has been filtered through city water systems. Water is safe for drinking, cooking, bathing and washing clothes.
- Internet: In general, homes have Internet service capabilities. To reduce costs, most people bundle Internet, phone and cable services through one service provider. Some apartment complexes provide free wireless Internet to their residents. Coffee shops often provide a free wireless connection for their customers. Local libraries have computers with Internet access for public use.
Nurses are available for consultations via the phone, and emergency rooms are open 24 hours a day. Medical facilities offer prescription filling, laboratory, X-ray and ultrasound services.
Expatriate health insurance also covers certain mental health and substance abuse treatments for employees and their covered family members. Confidential counseling with certified psychologists and counselors is available through Employee Assistance and WorkLife Services. This can be helpful for families trying to adjust to a new country and culture.
Dentists, including orthodontists and pediatric dentists, are located throughout the Bakersfield area. Dental services are covered under the expatriate health insurance plans.
It is very important to interview and check references. The phone book, neighbors and other employees are good references for these services.
The Chevron Federal Credit Union is located at the headquarters offices in the Energy Center and is available Monday through Friday.
These stores carry men’s, women’s and children’s clothing, jewelry, cosmetics, electronics and household goods. The mall also has jewelry stores, a few high-end designer stores, several restaurants, and a movie theater with 14 screens.
Around town are several outdoor shopping centers, which include retailers: Target, Walmart, Sam’s Club and Costco.
High-end stores, such as Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale's, can be found in the Los Angeles area.
More choices are available in the Los Angeles area. Check with retailers for delivery costs.
- Ross and Kohl’s carry men’s, women’s and children’s clothing, shoes and home goods.
- Best Buy is a specialty retailer of consumer electronics such as televisions, DVD players, home audio, car audio, computers, cameras, music, movies, software and more.
- PETCO and PetsMart offer pet supplies and services such as grooming and dog training.
- Russo’s Books is a popular bookstore in Bakersfield.
Transportation services, including taxicabs, buses and area transits, are available for a fee.
recreational and entertainment
For the sports-minded, Bakersfield offers a vast assortment of spectator and participant sports and activities. There are numerous gyms for exercise and sporting events, and many well-maintained golf courses. The city is also home to:
- The Condors are now part of the American Hockey League (AHL), one step away from the National Hockey League (NHL). Owned by the Edmonton Oilers, the team is now the top development team of the Oilers.
- The Bakersfield College Renegades American football team (junior college football).
- The Bakersfield Train Robbers are a professional baseball club that is part of the Pecos League, an independent professional baseball league headquartered in Houston which operates in cities in desert mountain regions throughout California, New Mexico, Arizona, southern Colorado, Kansas and West Texas.
The Bakersfield Parks and Recreation Department operates swimming pools and aquatic centers, recreation centers, fitness classes and 47 parks that feature:
- Bike paths
- Tennis courts
- Racquetball courts
- Basketball courts
- Softball diamonds and batting cages
- Water sports include 60 miles (96.5 km) of whitewater rafting along the Kern River in the Sequoia National Forest. There are also swimming, boating, fishing and camping opportunities at the Kern County Buena Vista Aquatic Recreation Area.
Chevron’s San Joaquin Valley offices also have fitness centers available for use by all employees. The Kern River office and Energy Center have on‑site personal trainers. Assistance with fitness center equipment is available at no cost; however, there is a fee for one-on-one personal training.
California State University, Bakersfield offers a variety of entertainment and events from its music, drama and athletic departments, including operas, plays and sporting events.
Nightclubs are all across Bakersfield — everything from DJs, live bands, bars, wine bars, dancing and karaoke.
For pre-assignment trips, Homewood Suites is just minutes from the Energy Center office in Bakersfield. They offer free dinner and an extended-stay atmosphere.
Bakersfield is home to a wide variety of fast-food chains and sit-down restaurants. Diners have plenty of American and foreign cuisines to choose from. Popular restaurant chains include:
There are also a number of ethnic restaurants around town that serve Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, Italian and Indian cuisine. And after dinner, Bakersfield’s own Dewar’s Ice Cream & Candy Shop is not to be missed.
California recognizes religious freedom. Eighty-six different denominations are celebrated and practiced in the San Joaquin Valley.
Flights from the Meadows Field airport typically require connecting through a larger airport to get to many U.S. destinations. Train, bus and automobile are good alternatives to air travel. To operate a vehicle, drivers must obtain a state driver license.